How does it work?
Once a grant is made, we meet with the Grantee or Impact Investee’s leaders and discuss the strategic goals of the organization. Together, we identify several projects that help the social venture address key challenges that are also a good fit for SV2 Partners.
Then, we work with the Grantee leaders to outline the goals for the project, the deliverables, timeline, and skills needed to complete the project. Then we find SV2 Partners from within our community who have the professional skills, experience, and capacity to work on the project.
Throughout this process, we recognize that nonprofit practitioners are the program experts. SV2 Partners complement their programmatic expertise by helping to strengthen the management, governance, and internal operations of the organizations.
What types of capacity building do we offer?
- Big Thinks: Group input sessions that can be convened when a Grantee would like to gather the perspectives of a range of Partners. Often best suited for brainstorming or gathering broad feedback.
- Light-Touch Advising: One to eight hours of advice on a specific need or challenge from a qualified SV2 Partner.
- Full-Scale Projects: In-depth project support from qualified SV2 Partner(s).
What will I get out of it?
Many Partners have said using their professional skills to work on a strategic project with a Grantee was one of the most rewarding experiences they have had as a member of the SV2 community. Some projects have led Partners to new interest areas and passions, while others have led Partners to positions on the organization’s board or staff team.
What types of projects does SV2 work on with Grantees?
- Strategic planning
- Performance Measurement
- Funding models, fundraising, and financial management
- Leadership development and board governance
- Marketing and communications
Why offer capacity building support?
For those nonprofits willing to engage in this type of relationship with an engaged funder, it’s a great opportunity for Grantee leaders to develop stronger relationships with our Partners. And our Partners delight in using their professional skills to help strengthen organizations they care about. Our ultimate goal is for high-potential organizations to be better and stronger in the pursuit of their mission.