We realize many of our community members might be feeling overwhelmed due to rising challenges surrounding COVID-19 disruptions and ramifications. In an effort to disrupt news feeds full of discouraging news, we are sharing some of the bright and impactful work happening currently in our SV2 community.
- As SV2 goes fully virtual, attendance at events remains strong as people engage in learning and giving together while sheltering-in-place. Our grantmaking, impact investing and learning sessions are continuing – we invite all Partners and Prospective Partners to participate!
- We’re living out our value of innovation – live in every meeting as we experiment with different ways to engage participants in virtual experiences and using Zoom features like polling and breakout rooms!
- We are lowering our carbon footprints with less driving and less printing.
- North Fair Oaks Coffee Chats were a big hit
- These in-person chats were designed as a replacement for our traditional written grant application. The intent was to reduce the time spent by nonprofit applicants on our process. This goal was realized — and the Coffee Chats also enabled Partners to meet the Executive Directors in person, a special boon given that we will not be able to conduct site visits due to the shelter-in-place directive.
- SV2 Impact Investee OpenInvest has been included in Fast Company’s 2020 Most Innovative Companies List (#10 in the Finance category) and won “Best Retail Investment Platform” at the annual FinTech Breakthrough Awards. Read more.
- Nonprofits are still eager to engage with SV2 — in the words of one Executive Director: “Thank you for reaching out! [The Environment Lightning Grant Round] sounds like a fantastic opportunity, and we’re so honored to be invited in. I appreciate all the due diligence around COVID-19, and for putting together such a thoughtful, streamlined process for applicants. During a week full of cancellation notices and doomsday headlines, your email landed in our inboxes like a breath of fresh air.”
- As many of our Grantees and Investees continue to do important work directly with our local communities, we’re lightening their load by postponing reporting and taking more actions in this pledge to walk alongside our social ventures.
- Our first virtual SV2 Teens site visit a few weeks ago was a big hit with successful org and Teen co-facilitation, authentic stories and community sharing, insightful information, and mutually high energy!
We hope these updates brought some brightness to your day. We are tremendously grateful to our Partners for your continued support of SV2’s mission in activating givers and strengthening promising social ventures at a time when strategic and engaged giving is especially critical.
Wishing you and your families health and peace in the days ahead.